Wednesday, March 16, 2011

'A' Blog

Now, before you think I’m taking the easy way out by choosing one of this famous, over analyzed overrated piece of work, you should know that this is one of my favorite paintings ever. This painting has not only had a great influence on the way that I view art and artists in general, but it also effects me on a deep, personal level. Vincent Van Gogh is my favorite artist. I love his brushwork, his use of color, the way he plays with values, the emotions that seem to be engraved into every canvas, solidified with lines. To me, Starry Night is a struggle to find the beauty in life, the points of light in all the trivialities and all the darkness that seem to flood our every day. It’s a rush of emotion, overpowering everything in it’s path. It is a frame from a whole stream of movement, froze in time, and still as powerful to me as the day it was first painted. I could get lost in this work of art, it tugs at my heart stings in a way that most art doesn’t. While, most people just lump this piece in the same room as the Mona Lisa and David, infamous works done by infamous artists that every elementary school kid is taught to identify this painting will always be something more to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment